Shatterford M.C.C.


22nd - 24th March.

    Following a rather "last minute" booking, at least nine of us were heading for Far Forest, and the Horse and Jockey - due to other commitments, I couldn't stay Friday night, but  went over to the site on the Big Red Ugly Bike and returned home later.  I had been warned about the field being a little "soggy" in places so, seeing as I wasn't camping, the B.R.U.B. stayed up on the pub car park, along with most of the other bikes.  Quite a few folks had turned up Friday, and the rally was going as rallies usually do - beer, music and the raffle.  Seems one of our lot managed to win 25 on the raffle, so " Get the beer in Pete "
    By around ten o clock, I had to make a move and head for home.  What a grand night for riding.  There was very little traffic, the weather was mild and, just for a change, I was on two wheels.

    Saturday morning, and after taking the B.R.U.B. for it's first MOT, I loaded up the trike and set off back to the rally.  All went well for the first ten or twelve miles, then the trike seemed to pull to the left.  I pulled over, and the cloud of blue smoke from the rear brake drum gave me a good idea what was wrong.  I checked the obvious - hand brake cable, brake pedal releasing fully, I even turned the brake adjusters fully out ( not easy when you can fry eggs on the brake drum ) and let the whole plot cool down for a while.  I decided the rest of the journey should be carried out with minimum use of the brakes - which isn't as bad as it sounds because the trike has excellent "engine braking".  I had just hit the long climb up the Bewdley by-pass when I spotted a couple of bikes at the side of the road.  Being of the "old school" of biker, I stopped to see if I could help.  It seems the Harley that was sitting by the roadside had suffered some kind of terminal transmission failure.  Sometimes, the mobile phone is a marvellous invention.  Having called the A.A. out to the stricken Harley, I carried on to the rally site.  I decided to set up camp next to a few other Moonshiners and went to swing the trike and "dog kennel" around.  Bugger !  I forgot about the soggy section of the field and promptly sank the caravan wheel.  A bit of pushing and shoving soon had it free - then the trike wheel sank.  Time to unhitch, turn around, get a better grip and drag the whole shooting match onto solid ground.  After all this hassle, I was more than glad to settle down and cook something to eat, before heading for the pub.
    Having seen the food prices in the pub, I decided cooking my own was a wise move.  I believe there was a catering tent outside on the rally field, but I never ventured that far, so I don't know what they were selling or what the prices were like.
    For some reason, two of "our lot"  happened to be wearing Dennis the Menace shirts - I don't know if there was some sinister reason for this, but knowing Gordon and Roy, they were up to no good. 

    Sunday morning, and the plan was to head for the bike show over at Wistanstow.
    I missed the presentation of the awards on Saturday night, so was surprised to find we had won club turnout - another 7 or 8 Moonshiners had turned up after all.

Club turnout award.

    It seemed the Shatterford M.C.C. decided Bucka's trike was worthy of a trophy too.


Grot trike award    

Seeing as it was a 50 mile round trip, to Wistanstow and back, I decided to leave the "dog kennel" on site and pack away when I returned - besides, it's more fun riding the trike when you ain't towing.   The sun was threatening to break through the clouds, and it had the makings of being a decent day, weather wise. . . I managed five miles before I had to stop and put my hat and gloves on.  It gets cold on top of Clee Hill.
    My first stop was the cafe at Craven Arms, where I happened to meet up with a couple of ex-Moonshiners.  They had just finished breakfast, and  were also heading for the show, so I told them I'd see them later and wandered into the cafe.  Have you ever had that wonderful feeling, when you reach for your wallet only to find it ain't there ?  Yep - me being as forgetful as ever - - I had left my money back at the rally site.  Good job I hadn't ordered any breakfast.  Wistanstow was only a few miles up the road, so I carried on regardless - only to find they wanted 2-50 entrance to the show.  Luckily, they believed my story, and let me in after I promised to return and pay as soon as I could find someone to borrow some money off.  Salvation came in the shape of Dave and Di, the two ex-Moonshiners who were at the cafe earlier.  Thanks Dave - I owe you a tenner mate !


The show was held at the village hall, a splendid black and white building that just typifies British village life.  In true British fashion, there was an array of delicious things to nibble on, so I continued with a somewhat belated breakfast before taking a nose at the bikes.  The one thing I like about this little bike show is the variety of machines.  From over restored, immaculate show pieces to "used every day" bikes.  There was even a just about road legal Manx Norton parked outside, which sounded glorious due to it's open mega.

Can I have a go Mister ?

    I spent a few hours looking / chatting / relaxing, before heading back over Clee Hill and packing up.
    The journey home was fairly stress free compared to the journey there - I whipped the rear wheels off the trike when I got back and found the brake cylinders were seized in the out position.  Time for new brake cylinders I think, and whilst I'm at it, new brake shoes and drums.  Spares for the trike are cheap compared to bike spares - -  but what price do you put on your life ??  I refuse to "save money" on brakes or tyres - they are the only thing between you and the road.   And on that happy thought, I'll end.  Another weekend spent doing what I enjoy, many thanks to the lads and lasses from Shatterford - see you around, some time.



back to